August 19, 2008

Say It Ain't So Yaz!

Carl Yastrzemski has been hospitalized with chest pains today. The Nation's thougts are with you Yaz. We hope this is something that can be treated and wish you and your family the best. One of my biggest memories as someone who wasn't even alive to see him play has to be his last day at Fenway speech. "Say it ain't so Yaz."-a young Sox fan "Well I wish it wasn't"-Yaz. I dare any Sox fan to say they didn't get choked up seeing that for the first time. I remeber as a kid I read his biography and have idolized the guy ever since.
He is one of my favorite Sox past and present and the man is right up there with Teddy Ballgame as the most iconic Sox player ever. Nobody plays the wall the way he did and he carried the Sox for over two decades. He was an 18 time All-Star, 7 time Gold Glove winner, and won both the AL MVP and Triple Crown (The last man to do so since '67) in 1967 "The Impossible Dream" season. His HOF numbers are as follows:
Hits 3,419
Home runs 452

No comments:

Teddy Ballgame

Teddy Ballgame
#9 on the field #1 in our hearts.

Simmons