August 12, 2009

Youk Gotta Fight! For Your Right!

The tipping point was reached last night. Youk had enough of being the target of opposing pitchers retribution. Can I blame the Tigers for throwing at Youk? No.
I personally met Youk in a bar before and wasn't impressed with his demeanor even as a bench warming utility man on the 2004 squad he had a cockiness about him. Granted being cocky in professional baseball works out in your favor it doesn't do much for your fan base. Now I'm not saying my buddy wasn't wrong in offering Youk shots that night, but the piss poor response from a guy who hadn't even cracked the starting lineup was uncalled for. So I don't really blame Porcillo or the Tigers for hitting Youk. I'm a fan of the Sox and I don't even like him.
What I do like is the fact that this may be the shot in the arm a desperate Sox team needs to get back on a roll for the September stretch run. Winning the wild card won't be easy and taking the division back from the Yanks will be even tougher. This team hadn't really shown any balls over the last two series vs. the Rays and Yanks and Youk decided enough was enough. You could tell the Sox were going to win the game after the fight. Tazawa settled down and the Sox offense decided to awake from its collective slumber. Bay finally added to his team leading RBI total after a month plus of sleep walking his way to the plate. Even Youks replacement, Mike Lowell, was back on track hitting two shots to give the Sox the win. Do I like that the Sox had to fight to get it going, Yes! It reminded me of the 2003 Pedro vs. Zimmer type of spark the team needed. It also reminded me of Bill Meuller's big shot of Mo Rivera...Some what. When it is all settled the Sox showed they were not going to lay down and take it any more. We'll see if it can carry over to October.

No comments:

Teddy Ballgame

Teddy Ballgame
#9 on the field #1 in our hearts.

Simmons